Flowers, cats, and a vase that doesn’t tip over!

tilt 225x300 Flowers, cats, and a vase that doesnt tip over!

Robert demonstrates our sunflowers not tipping over (even though it made me nervous)

It’s all well and good to have flowers that are safe for cats to nibble, but what happens too often with our cats is the vase gets tipped over in flower frenzy excitement. Water everywhere.

I actually was about to commission someone to build a cat-safe un-tippable vase, but then a friend on Facebook pitched a much easier idea:

Museum putty, also known as earthquake putty

Here I am in San Francisco, California, and I’d never heard of this stuff.

Well, I’ve got good news, friends. It’s working! Allow me to demonstrate with sunflowers we bought at the Farmer’s market over the weekend.

Here’s what I did

1. I bought (super cheap) “Quake Hold” Museum Putty and followed the instructions to roll pieces of it into little balls, place vase on them, press down, and make a slight twisting motion with the vase for “suction.”

Putty under vase 150x150 Flowers, cats, and a vase that doesnt tip over!

View of "putty balls" under vase

2. Added the water and the sunflowers. Phil and Joel  immediately showed up on the scene.

cats eating flowers 225x300 Flowers, cats, and a vase that doesnt tip over!

The attack begins

3. Two days later the flowers and vase are intact! No tip overs, no drama. A few green leaves have been chewed, but otherwise all is well.

2 days later 225x300 Flowers, cats, and a vase that doesnt tip over!

Two days later still standing!

And that’s when I had the nerve to ask Robert to do the tilt demonstration for me.

What a relief to be able to have flowers at cat-level more often. Hooray!

Resources

Quake Hold Museum Putty

There are other brands available, but this one seemed the most popular for the best value on Amazon.

P.S. Yes, it works with many surfaces (e.g., glass, wood) and is removeable.

How about your cats?

Can they tip over a putty-secured vase? How do flowers work in your house?

Join the natural cat tribe!
Join the hundreds of folks worldwide who receive exclusive updates, and get a FREE COPY of my eBook, 6 Natural Ways to Help Your Cat Live Longer! Just enter your name and email below:
catHappyYears transparentBG smallest Flowers, cats, and a vase that doesnt tip over!

13 Responses to Flowers, cats, and a vase that doesn’t tip over!

1. maggi g June 7, 2014 at 12:54 pm #

thanks so much for this info. I have a 100 year old vase that I love too much to put up and I also have luci – also known as the white rat, freaky girl, psycho, etc. she has broken a number of things but they are just that – things. I will give this a try asap.

2. Max April 17, 2012 at 9:44 pm #

Thanks a lot for this tip, it’s working great with our 3 cats and a glass vase on wood.

The more you know!

• Liz-cat April 19, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

Max, delighted to hear the vase tip is working for you. Thanks for letting me know.

3. Kathy August 25, 2011 at 9:55 am #

What kind of flowers are safe for my cat to nibble on??

4. Billie Stroud August 21, 2011 at 2:39 pm #

What if you have a scarf over the table? no putty can be used. If no scarf, cats will scar the surface.

• Liz-cat August 22, 2011 at 10:49 am #

Hi Billie, yeah, I’m not sure about using it on fabric–it would be an experiment.

5. penny August 21, 2011 at 12:47 pm #

I’ve heard that denture cream is good for this as well. Haven’t tried it though.

• Liz-cat August 22, 2011 at 10:47 am #

Penny, that’s a new one! Thanks for the idea.

6. Tabbymom Jen August 21, 2011 at 9:10 am #

Does it pass the dipping test? Bonnie Underfoot, Attack Tabby, was after the water, not the flowers. She dipped her paw in and I wonder if that would be enough to undo the putty? Ha! Someone should remarket it as Puddy Putty!

• Liz-cat August 21, 2011 at 10:16 am #

Jen, Puddy-tat Putty? Good one! Yeah, I think if you do it right, the vase should survive even the paw-dipping, though I didn’t see Phil or Joel do that yet, they have been known to.

• Will December 26, 2011 at 1:05 pm #

I’m not easily ipmessred but you’ve done it with that posting.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. A WRAP UP OF THE GIFTS WE’VE GIVEN IN 2011 » World's Best Cat Litter Blog | Clearing the Air - December 18, 2011

[...] Around Your House Using our natural litter is one of the easiest ways to keep your home smelling fresh, but having a cat around comes with other challenges. We shared feline blogger tips on how to keep your cat from scratching and save your furniture in the process! We even found a woman who “cat-proofed” her house with a special, secure vase. [...]