Nate - gorgeous as ever

Handsome Nate

Like so many cancer stories, this not a simple one.

It involves conventional treatments that don’t work out, but it ends with natural treatments and a happy cat!

This story is a big deal to me because I lost a cat to high-grade (large cell) intestinal lymphoma. While low-grade lymphoma is more treatable, cats are not known to survive high-grade lymphoma. Even with intense chemotherapy, the best we were told to hope for was 6 – 9 months.

So I always have my ears open for helpful cat cancer healing stories. When I heard that a woman in Illinois named Connie Fischbein had a story to share (complete with pictures of the oncology scans), I set up an interview as fast as I could.

I was stunned to learn that her cat had survived high-grade intestinal and kidney lymphoma. I could hardly wait to hear how her 7 year-old Maine Coone, Nate, pulled this off!

Note: All the resources that worked for Connie’s cat are listed at the end of this (long!) article.

How it starts

LIZ: First of all, I want to know all about Nate’s initial diagnosis.

CONNIE: It was in the small intestine…he had been vomiting and losing weight and I had been going back and forth to the vet…I was leaving for work one morning and he hid under a chair, something he would never do unless there is something really, really wrong. I ran him up to the emergency clinic… he had an ultrasound. There was a tumor in his small intestine…it was removed surgically, they tissue typed it and gave me some options for chemo…  We started him on the treatment that I thought would be least stressful for him….Lomustine [oral chemo].

LIZ: What did they do with the surgery?

CONNIE: They basically removed the tumor [it was blocking his digestion]. And resected the bowel.

LIZ:  And what happened after that?

CONNIE: Within a couple of days he was pretty much eating his regular diet…And then 10 days later I brought him in to get his stitches out and that was when they started the oral chemo.

LIZ: I don’t think I was given surgery as an option. I don’t remember that ever coming up.

CONNIE: Well this was a single tumor. I know there are some forms of lymphoma where it’s more diffuse and it’s not that easy to remove surgically.

LIZ: The word “diffuse” does sound familiar. Maybe that’s what it was. So then Nate started the Lomustine. And what was that like?

CONNIE: He would get the dose once a month and he seemed to tolerate it fairly well, but after a couple weeks he would start having really bad diarrhea, which we would treat with metronidazole…

Connie begins researching alternatives

“After his first Lomustine dose I started looking online for alternative therapies in case the chemo didn’t work…I spent hours just searching, trying to find [good] products.

I found a cancer support product called ES Clear…it’s supposed to help with side effects from chemo. At work there’s a database I can use where I can look up interactions of some natural medicines and conventional medicines…and I didn’t see anything that was going to be a significant interaction.

I talked to the oncologist and he was fine with it too… With the ES Clear, Nate really seemed to perk up and had less diarrhea and less lethargy after his chemo doses.

I saw a vet online recommending a product from a company called Vitality Science. I talked to LeLa and to Steven Becker there. The whole approach was the opposite of the approach that conventional chemotherapy is about. Conventional chemo is all about suppressing the immune system and killing everything basically. Cancer cells metabolize faster so they absorb these toxins more readily, but pretty much every organ system is affected. But the alternative approach is to boost the immune system, give the animal a chance to heal itself.

I thought, “maybe this is plan B, because I’m kind of committed right now to the chemotherapy.” The approaches seemed to contradict each other. I couldn’t get my head around doing both at same time. They said you could, but I wasn’t convinced, so I decided to make it plan B.”

The cancer comes back after surgery and oral chemo

CONNIE: Nate did well for 5 rounds of oral Lomustine. He had his last dose at the beginning of May 2012. But at the end of that month we had a routine scan and unfortunately it had come back in his kidney. It was like a small 1.5 cm tumor at that point.

LIZ: How many months was he on the Lomustine?

CONNIE: Five. He was diagnosed early January and it came back at the end of May.

LIZ:  It was the same high grade, large cell lymphoma – but this time in the kidney?

CONNIE: Right. And so we tried Elspar, which is specific for lymphoma. But the cancer was resistant. It just kept growing. So the week after that we tried [another drug] I wasn’t thrilled about. Heavy duty chemo. It was given by IV and made him sick…He wouldn’t eat from his food dish and became lethargic. His white blood cell count dropped and he was placed on prednisone and antibiotics.

Heavy duty chemo doesn’t work for Nate

“So we were just watching his white blood cell count every week. About 2 or 3 weeks later it came up enough but the tumor…didn’t shrink.

Kidney is hidden behind tumor

Kidney is hidden behind tumor

And then it started growing again so we tried one last resort called Palladia. ….But after 2 or 3 doses of that oral medication, he was vomiting and then he stopped eating.

He was kind of saying ‘I won’t do this anymore.’

Switched to 100% alternative therapies

“I talked to the oncologist and said, ‘I can’t do this anymore to him. I’ll just try to make him as comfortable as I can. And I think I’m going to try these other herbal products.’

Since he wasn’t eating, I ordered a product (Feline Granular) that you mix into his food, which he absolutely loved, and it got him eating again. He was still taking ES Clear.

I also added another product Tripsy, which is for kidney support. I figured, even though he still had normal kidney function and all his labs were normal, he might need help excreting the metabolites of these products. I started him on Tripsy and the Vitality Science Advanced Immune Restoration Protocol [for cat cancer]. So I started these about a week after this last Palladia [chemo] dose.”

Surprise!

“About three weeks later we took him into the vet for a scan and surprisingly it has shrunk over 30% and he was…almost strangely energetic. I thought there was something wrong with him. I was like, “What’s going on? He’s acting weird.” It turns out this tumor is shrinking.

Tumor (in cross hairs) has shrunk

Tumor (in cross hairs) has shrunk over 30%

I brought him back three weeks later and it had shrunk another 30%. Both the oncologist and I had been skeptical before starting these alternative therapies. The oncologist was very surprised by the results and I was kicking myself that I hadn’t tried them earlier along with chemo.

Tumor has shrunk again

Tumor 30% smaller again, kidney now visible

The second time it shrank he called me into the consulting room, closed the door and said, ‘OK, what exactly are you giving him?’

I told him about all the products…he said, ‘Well, just keep doing this. He’s moving in the right direction. We’ll see what happens.”

I brought Nate back a couple months later and the tumor was still shrinking. Not quite at the same rate, but it was still moving in the right direction and then I think his third scan was in October 2012.

Then I brought him in January this year for another scan and it was completely gone. Normal kidney.”

LIZ: Wow.

CONNIE: Yeah. He gained weight… and he had another scan at the end of February…The scan was clean everywhere. His gut and his kidney and all of that. His recent scan [May 1st] was also completely clean.

LIZ: I’m blown away that even though Nate went through some really intense chemo his body was able to get rid of the cancer when you stopped – even though chemo breeds stronger cancer cells.

Happy Nate

Happy Nate

CONNIE: He wasn’t quite 7 years old when he was diagnosed…he had that going for him… And I think I got lucky with finding Vitality Science. I think those products probably made the biggest difference…there are ingredients that specifically have anti-cancer properties. And immune boosting properties.  I think that was the big gun. Although it’s hard to say because there are no controlled studies.

LIZ: The tumor shrinkage you saw in late July – the doctor did not think it was from the earlier chemo, correct?

CONNIE: Correct, he had a scan after the chemo; it was still growing, not shrinking.  …In fact, Nate’s oncologist was very excited about what happened with these herbals, so he now recommends it to his clients who don’t respond to conventional chemo.

Important Note: Only after a number of clean scans did Connie begin to taper down the alternative therapy doses that Nate was taking. I learned the hard way that this is essential. With cancer treatment, especially after chemo has been used, the strongest tiny cancer cells are the ones that survive, so if they start growing again they can come back with an unstoppable vengeance. For this reason, I would continue periodic cancer scans and have my cat on a maintenance dose of an alternative therapy for the rest of his or her life.

The resources that worked for Connie

Connie used a number of supplements – “the kitchen sink” – as she joked, so it’s hard to be sure which ones made all the difference. But, she suspects the Advanced Immune Restoration Protocol Cat Cancer Support and Tripsy may have been most essential to Nate’s healing.

Nate’s anti-cancer supplementation

Vitality Science Advanced Immune Restoration Protocol – Cat Cancer Support – An anti-cancer combination of enzymes, probiotics, green algae, and essential nutrients for immune system; herbal anti-inflammatory and anti-parasitic; fish oil, krill oil, Astaxanthin (extracted from Haematococcus Pluvialis microalgae), and natural vitamin E.

Nate’s immune, nutrition, and kidney support supplements

Pet Wellbeing Nu-Pet Feline Granular with Antioxidant– for appetite & nutrients

NHV ES Clear – for cancer support and immune strengthening (contains ingredients of Essiac tea, a reputed anti-cancer formula)

NHV Tripsy – for kidney, renal and urinary disorders in cats

(The last two products were originally available through Pet Wellbeing, but they have sense reformulated them, so now you can get the original formula Connie used only through NHV.)

Nate’s treatment for chemo-related diarrhea

Pet Flora – When Nate stopped responding to the metronidazole for his chemo-related diarrhea, Connie tried this special soil-based probiotic, which cleared up his diarrhea in 24 hours.

, ,

371 Responses to Incurable to Cancer-Free in One Year: How Nate-the-Cat Survived High Grade Lymphoma

1. Duke April 28, 2015 at 3:28 pm #

Hello LIs how are you? I have a question.. I see you used advanced immune system and i bought it also but how did you really fed to your cat? i have hard time feeding to my cat if you or anybody can help me great thank you.

• Chere April 28, 2015 at 8:44 pm #

Hi Duke, I find it easy to sneak in a little (not even a quarter of a teaspoon though) of the celloqent, or a couple of drops of the anti inflammatory into a tin or pouch of wet food. The vital pet lips however is very fishy and at best I can only get a drop into a very fishy tin or pouch of wet food. If I remember correctly the instructions that came with the set said you shouldn’t give the anti inflammatory at the same time as the other products. So I mix in the other two at the same time or the anti inflammatory on it’s own. Good luck.

• Duke April 28, 2015 at 11:24 pm #

great thank you very much

• Duke April 29, 2015 at 6:32 am #

Hello again… which brand of food did you use? I know my vet said I have to use high quality protein food… thank you very much

• Duke April 29, 2015 at 6:53 am #

I am sorry one more thing, what really help tumor to shrink? I mean scientifically? is it food or supplement? or specific medicine?

• Chere April 29, 2015 at 7:25 am #

Hi again. I think the ingredients are scientifically proven to kill cancer cells and help fight cancer, the reviews are very promising. I do believe it does help kill cancer cells and shrink tumors. If I remember correctly krill oil and a few other things like licorice or something have shown to do just that. Storm would vomit several times a day and I can’t be sure if it was only the chemo that stopped it but I do believe the pet flora and super pet enzymes stopped it. If she ever vomits I make sure to give her that stuff.

• VeggieNut-Viv April 29, 2015 at 9:44 am #

Duke, the best thing that I’ve found to shrink my 17 year old cat’s cancer (oral squamous cell) is IP-6 plus Inositol using a ratio of four to one of IP-6 to Inositol. I also give her Artemisinin, 50 mg per dose, and I give this as a single dose on two consecutive nights a week. I would give this more often but it gives her diarrhea and depresses her appetitie. I give the Artemisinin separate from the IP-6/Inositol. Artemisinin needs to be given with fat preferably on an empty stomach. Since I’m limited on how much Artemisinin I can give and since cancer cells have a higher metabolic rate at night, I give this to her late at night when I can maxmimize it’s effectiveness. At this dosage rate, I see no side effects.
            Artemisinin works by gaining entry into the cancer cells and forming free radicals which destroys the cancer cells. Artemisinin is attracted to the iron in cancer cells which have a higher iron content than do normal cells. It has a stronger attraction for the higher iron cancer cells than it does for normal cells, so the normal cells are protected. I’ve read that cancer shows no resistance to Artemisinin.
            IP-6 (Inositol Hexaphosphate) is also attracted to the higher iron cancer cells. IP-6 chelates the iron which destroys the cancer’s primary growth factor. The cancer cells cannot replicate DNA without iron. No iron equals no replication equals cancer DIES! The Inositol is not a chelator but it enhances the effectiveness of the IP-6. The dose will need to be adjusted according how advanced the cancer is. IP-6/Inositol has very little taste and it’s been very easy to give. I give my kitty, Mandi, three daily doses of 500 mg of IP-6 and add Inositol powder at roughly a 4 to 1 ratio of IP-6 to Inositol. I add 30 mg of CoQ10 to one of these daily doses. I then stir in a little water to this mixture and give it with a syringe. I’ve read that this is probably absorbed better when given on an empty stomach which can be hard to do with a cat but I do my best with it. This combo is very safe to use. To learn more, look up: “a mini protocol for treating any cancer in dogs and cats”.
            Mandi’s cancer was found in October of 2013 and she was not expected to live for even a year. I’ve used several protocols, but this has been the best. It seems to maintain its effectiveness and after several months of use, it has accomplished this without any visable side effects. I’ve been treating Mandi myself since April of 2014 because what the vet was doing seemed to have lost it’s effectiveness. Then, in Oct 2014 she developed a cancer related abscess on the cancer side of her head. When the vet treated the abscess, I was informed that the end was very near. To make things even worse, the cancer soon spread to the other side of her mouth that same month and it quickly became so massive that she couldn’t eat on her own. I had to feed her liquids with a syringe. She also stayed in her liter box day and night and drooled. Things looked really bad. That’s when I found new and better battle stragegy using IP-6/Inositol and Artemisinin. It’s been a long hard fight since then but we’ve made significant improvment. She’s gone from having to be fed liquids with a syringe to eating solid food on her own and wanting more. She now eats raw diced beefsteak, steamed chicken and scrambled eggs. I even saw her eating the dog’s kibble! No more living in her litter box either as she’s up and about using the pet door to go outside and sun herself and generally acting like she feels way better. I checked her mouth last night and from what I can see on the surface, the cancer has shrank a whole lot since I’ve been using this protocol. Against all odds, after one and a half years since discovery, I still have my Mandi!
            Good luck with your journey through this.

• Chere April 29, 2015 at 7:13 am #

That’s the one field I fail dismally in so im probably the worst example. At the moment only a small percentage of weruva and certain fancy feast tins but mostly Friskies sachets which is probably a terrible thing I could give her. The other two will eat anything with almost any amount of whatever I put in there but she’s so fussy.

After her biopsy (when she stopped eating) I tried so many types of food and shed eat it. So even though I know it’s bad ( very far from cancer fighting ) it was a choice of eat that or nothing. So that’s how that started. Because of this I’ve been googling better options recently. I live in South Africa and the selection of grain free stuff is terrible. Weruva is practically the best I can get and it’s damn expensive. I also recently learnt that I should avoid giving Storm fishy treats because of the toxins in the fish. Up until then I’ve always thought I should be giving here more because fish is high in omega 3 oils. Who knew.

The one vet said I should give her wet food meant for kittens because its high in protein.

I give her the wet food with the varying products morning and night (1 sachet or small tin between my three cats) but her dry food that’s always available is Hills ID for gastrointestinal issues. But you can’t mix this stuff into dry food really. ..Unless you mix it in with water and the dry food maybe?

I really do think those products have helped (along with tge chemo) shrink and hopefully has kept Storms tumor away. Im nervous because I’m meant to take her for a scan this week but shes looking good though.

Im happy to help, let me know what works for you.

• Sharon Dee May 19, 2015 at 7:28 am #

My sister’s cat, Finnegan has been diagnosed with renal lymphoma :( She has ordered the products shown to have worked for Nate on your site. We are all hoping that it helps him as he is only four years old. I have a question regarding food….I have six cats, and four of them are seniors (all feral rescues) They did not like any of the expensive, so called, quality food. I buy Friskies pate…they like the mixed grill the best. I have been in touch with the company who claim that the bi products in their products are only from organ meats and tell me that their food is healthful,. I hope so, because it is inexpensive and they love it,,..I have spent thousands if dollars on expensive cat food, only to feed the left overs to the crows, because my cats would not eat it. We are hoping that Finnegan responds positively to the products that helped Nate….we are just devastated by the diagnoses.

2. Duke May 1, 2015 at 10:32 am #

Thank you so much Chere and Vegienut… I will try that to my cat. Vegie nut where do you buy IP 6? and what is this? thank you again.

oh by the way, i have been working with Dr. Loop actually i found him through this website… do you know anything about him? he is a holistic specialist. thank you

• VeggieNut-Viv May 1, 2015 at 12:00 pm #

Duke, I get my IP-6 and Inositol from Swanson Vitamins. The item number is SWU286 and it contains 240 capsules, 500 mg. The Inositol item number is SW874 and contains 100 capsules, 650 mg. This is used at a four to one ratio of IP-6 to Inositol. I get about five doses out of the 650 mg capsule of Inositol. Swanson also has Inositol that you can get as a loose powder in a jar but it’s harder to figure out how to measure it as the scoop that is provided is for six grams. However, since it’s pharmaceutical grade, it may be worth the extra effort.
      IP-6 is a vitamin like substance that is derived from Inositol which is a B vitamin. The IP-6 should be used with Inositol because these two complement each other which increases their potency. IP-6 is a chelator. It works by binding with the iron in cancer cells so that they can’t reproduce.
      I also get Artemisinin from Swanson, item SWH111. Each bottle has 90 capsules, 100 mg and each capsule provides two doses, 50 mg each. This should be given with a fat. I use flax oil right now because I already had it.
      Swanson has a sale right now and here’s the promo code:WKNDOFFR
      This sale ends Sunday, May 3 at 11:59 pm, central time.
      I’ve heard of Dr. Loop, but that’s all.

• Debra Costas May 1, 2015 at 3:44 pm #

Hi Viv,

I have been giving Molly the IP6 & Inositol for the last several days. I mix it with her herbal tonic so I don’t have to put stuff down her throat as often. She doesn’t seem to like the taste much but she tolerates it. How long before we see any effect on the tumor?

• VeggieNut-Viv May 1, 2015 at 8:24 pm #

Debra, it will take a while and it’s hard to say how long before you can see any visable results. The IP-6/Inositol kills the cancer by starving it for iron so that it can’t reproduce itself so it dies off over time. It’s also hard to know what dose to give and getting the dose right is essential for this to be effective. I started off with two doses a day and I now give three per day plus I give Artemisinin a couple of times a week as well. Artemisinin works well with the IP-6 and Inositol.
          Mandi is showing more improvement with time. Her appetite has improved and she’s eating more solid food which means her mouth has got to be feeling better for her to be able to chew it.
          I just checked my order history from Swanson to see exactly when I began this and it was the end of Feb. of this year. So, that would make it two months now. I’ve been seeing improvment for a while and it just keeps getting better!

• Debra Costas May 2, 2015 at 5:10 pm #

Thanks, Viv, I am just hoping to see the tumor shrink enough where Molly can use her tongue again. I am giving her the IP6/Inositol 3 times a day so I guess we need to wait a few more weeks.

• VeggieNut-Viv May 2, 2015 at 6:31 pm #

The IP-6/Inositol seems to work slower than Artemisinin. If you’re not already using Artemisinin, you might want to consider adding it. This might help bring relief to Molly faster. I just give Mandi one daily 50 mg dose of it late at night at bedtime and this is just for two or sometimes three days a week. The absorbability of Artemisinin decreases with use so it shouldn’t be given constantly. It’s best to give it for a few days “on” then a few days “off” so that optimum absorption can be maintained. I would give the Artemisinin to Mandi more often but it can give her diarrhea, however, most cats tolerate it pretty well from what I’ve read about it.

Mandi has come a long way since Oct. 2014 when she wasn’t even able to eat on her own and I had to feed her liquids with a sryinge. She lived in her litter box, day and night, drooling constantly and when I saw that the cancer had spread, it sure did look like the end had arrived. Now, she eats solid food that requires chewing which is a good indication that her mouth is in much better shape. She’s no longer living in her litter box but once again she’s up and about living her life, going in and out the pet door, sunning herself and acting much more like a normal kitty.
            There’s hope for Molly too. Do your best.

• Debra Costas May 4, 2015 at 2:54 pm #

HI Viv,

I wanted to see if the IP6/Insitol would shrink it before getting the Artemisinin. I was concerned since you said it gave your cat digestive problems. I think that I will try that in a week or so if I don’t see more improvement in her use of her tongue. It’s definitely on my list to try on her. It is very encouraging to hear how well Maddi has done on it!

• VeggieNut-Viv May 4, 2015 at 4:15 pm #

Debra, the concern that I would have in holding off in using Artemisinin is that IP-6/Inositol may not be an effective stand alone cancer treatment. Cancer cells have a much higher metabolic rate than do normal cells and if you aren’t killing them off faster than they multiply, the cancer can really get a foothold. Once you lose ground, it is really hard to gain it back. The location of Molly’s cancer, under her tongue, is also a concern as this can make it very difficult for her to eat and it will get worse if the cancer isn’t stopped.
            Most cats do OK with Artemisinin. If Molly has a problem, just back off on how many times you give it. The dose recommended by holistic vets is 50 mg given twice a day. Mandi would get diarrhea and her appetitie would go down if I gave it at the recommended dose, so I cut back the number of consecutive days that I was giving it and she’s done very well with that schedule. I now give her 50 mg once a day, late at night, and ususlly for only 2 or 3 consecutive days then I break. Since I’ve started using this agenda, there’s been no diarrhea or loss of appetite and at least for the present momment, I seem to be gaining ground in this battle.
            Because of the side effects Mandi had from the Artemisinin, I even tried discontinuing it altogether when I started using the IP-6/Inositol, but that didn’t seem to work as fast as I needed it to work. So I set my mind to find a way to use Artemisinin that would help her without hurting her and I did just that.
            Both Artemisinin and IP-6/Inositol fight cancer, but they seem to work most effectively as a team. Cancer needs to be hit from more than one direction.
            Keep up the good work!

• Debra Costas May 4, 2015 at 5:03 pm #

Oh, OK, Viv, I didn’t realize they worked together. I will look into getting some right away. Thanks for the “heads up”!

• Debra Costas May 4, 2015 at 5:04 pm #

Where do you buy your Artesiminin?

• Debra Costas May 4, 2015 at 5:09 pm #

I see Swanson has it so I am assuming that is where you get yours. Do you just mix with water?

• VeggieNut-Viv May 4, 2015 at 6:38 pm #

I do indeed get this from Swanson. It’s item number SWH111, and the potency is 100 mg per capsule with 90 capsules per bottle. Each powder filled capsule will give you two 50 mg doses. This isn’t mixed with water. It needs to be given with a fat. I use flax oil or coconut oil because I already have it and because I’ve read that’s what other people have used.
            Another place you can order Artemisinin from is Holley Pharmaceuticals. It’s a bit more expensive, but you can get 50 mg capsules so that you don’t have the inconvenience of dividing it but you only get 60 capsules per bottle. Holly Pharmaceuticals has been mentioned several times when I’ve read about Artemisinin. However, Swanson’s brand is standardized so it should be good too and you do get two doses per capsule and you also get more capsules per bottle so your buck will go a lot further. I’ve tried to find out which is best, but I’ve had no luck in finding any info about this in the reviews I’ve read.
            Artemisinin and IP-6/Inositol are both used together in “a mini protocol for treating any cancer in dogs and cats”. This protocol also uses CoQ10 and mushrooms. I think you would find it interesting reading. And, one thing I like is that this protocol is easy to do.
            Swanson has a sale right now where you can save ten percent on orders of fifty dollars or more and this also qualifies for free shipping. The more you buy, the higher the percent off. The promo code is: TWENTY and the sale ends Thursday, May 7 at ll:59 pm central standard time.
            Fighting cancer is really rough at first because you have so much to learn and you need to learn it so fast. Hang in there!

• Debra Costas May 5, 2015 at 7:36 am #

I have some Salmon oil that we mix in both cats food, do you think that would work?

• VeggieNut-Viv May 5, 2015 at 7:50 am #

I think that salmon oil is a good choice. I use flax oil or coconut oil mostly because I already have it.

• Debra Costas May 11, 2015 at 8:30 am #

Hi Viv, I got the Artemisinin and accidently gave Molly a whole capsule the first time. They are so tiny I can just “pill” her. However, I then realized that I had given her 100mg not 50mg so the next time I gave her 1/2 a capsule in some Salmon oil which she threw up about 10 minutes later. I have just given her a 50 mg dose that I just mixed with a couple drops of Salmon oil and put on her tongue with my finger (this did not go well!). I think she drooled most of hit down her chin. How do you get it down Maddi??

• VeggieNut-Viv May 11, 2015 at 10:24 am #

If you take a bit of the Artemisinin powder and touch it to your tongue, you’ll know why Molly doesn’t like it. It’s bitter and tastes just plain awful!
            To give this, I dissolve Mandi’s dose of Artemsinin in cold flax oil (I keep it refrigerated) and the cold temperature helps subdue the bitter taste a bit. One ml syringes seem to work best as they comfortably fit into the small mouth of a cat better. To prepare this, I use a one ml syringe to measure out about .7 ml of cold fax oil to mix with the Artemisinin. Be careful that you don’t use too much oil as it mignt not fit back into the one ml syringe after adding in the Artemisinin. After mixing the oil and the Artemisinin together, I then re-load it back in the same one ml syringe. When I give this to Mandi, I try to get it toward the back of her mouth so that it won’t dribble out but not so far back that she will choke on it. I then follow this with another one ml syringe of just plain flax oil to wash it down with. I load both syringes before I round up Mandi for her medicine time. I use a blue one ml syringe that carries the payload of Artemisinin and a clear no-color second syringe that’s filled with plain flax oil. That way, I don’t get the syringes mixed up as I want to be sure to give the plain oil last so it can help wash down the bitter Artemisinin. The blue one ml syringe came with a bottle of Polyvisol Vitamin Drops for babies which I also give to Mandi. This blue syringe works well without sticking and it lasts and lasts.
            Holley Pharmaceuticals makes Artemisinin in 50 mg size capsules which would be easier to use and I’ve read that it is a very good product. I was about ready to try some, but stayed with Swanson because I hit a good sale, their product is standardized and it just gave me more bang for my buck.
            I gave Mandi a nice warm bath today as the cancer in her mouth makes it hard for her to do a good job in grooming herself. After a gentle towel dry, she’s now outside sunning herself. You might at some time need to help Molly with her grooming. I think that it makes them just feel better to be fresh and clean.

• Debra Costas May 11, 2015 at 3:40 pm #

Thanks, Viv. I suspected that it was very bitter. I will try keeping the Salmon oil in the fridge and hopefully that will help. I will have to get another syringe and then I will try following the medicine up with a bit more oil or maybe some water from a tuna can. We had Salmon for dinner last nite a she wanted some so badly but had so much trouble picking it up I finally just opened her mouth and put a bit on the back of her tongue. I feel so badly that she tries so hard to pick up her food and just can’t hold it in her mouth. I have tried washing her in a bit of warm water in the sink but she doesn’t like that at all. The best I can do is take a warm wash cloth and wash her face and head. She’s pretty feisty!

• VeggieNut-Viv May 11, 2015 at 4:09 pm #

Debra, I have used a washcloth to give a whole bath to Mandi. I just rubbed her all over with it and rinsed the cloth out in warm water as I bathed her. I used an empty large plastic tub like a cool whip tub or large margine tub and filled it with warm water. However, Mandi now lets me put her in the bathroom sink and bathe her in there where I can do a much better job. When I’m holding her drying her off, she lets me clip her front nails too. However, we’ve been doing all this for a good while now, so we’ve both had time to adjust to doing things different. Mandi is a sweet old soul.
            Sometimes Mandi can’t eat well either. I boil chicken for her and give her the broth which is easy on her mouth and she loves it. I also fix scrambled eggs for her so that they are on the runny side so she can just lap it up. She likes her eggs with a bit of Velveeta cheese mixed in. The other cats like to eat this stuff too. You might could try taking solid food and putting it in the blender to make it like baby food for Molly. Add enough water or broth so that she can lap it up. I’ve even bought baby food for Mandi, but it’s pricey and all you get is a little bitty jar of the meat varieties. However, sometimes it’s good to have some on hand to use when nothng else seems to work.

• Debra Costas May 11, 2015 at 6:01 pm #

Hi Viv, Thanks for the ideas but the problem is that Molly can’t use her tongue. She can’t stick it out to lap up anything. To drink she gets in the bathroom sink, tilts her head to one side and lets the water fall in her mouth. I worry that she will get dehydrated but so far she seems OK. When I look in her mouth her tongue is always tilted to one side off the bottom of her mouth. Since I used 1/2 of the Arteminisin this AM I am going to give her the capsule tonight with the other 1/2 and a squirt of Salmon oil. That should be easier on her since it is in the capsule.

• VeggieNut-Viv May 11, 2015 at 6:49 pm #

You do have your hands full. I think that having this kind of cancer under the tongue has got to be one of the worst places it can be. If you can get this cancer to start shrinking, it should improve Molly’s ability to eat and drink.
            Keep up your dilgent work and hopefully you’ll start seeing an improvement.

• Debra Costas May 11, 2015 at 9:28 pm #

That’s what I am hoping for. If it will just shrink enough for her to be able to use her tongue that would be a huge improvement. Thanks for all your help and encouragement!

• Debra Costas May 17, 2015 at 9:32 am #

Hi Viv, Well I did 3 days last week with the Artemisinin and have just given Molly the IP6, Inositol and her herbs since then. Yesterday the syringe broke so I have to get a new on. The last 2 days she has taken to wetting outside her pan and she runs away when she sees me coming. She is also not eating and is down about 2 pounds from her normal weight. I plan to take her to the vet tomorrow to see if we are dealing with a bladder infection or if she has just had enough…..

• VeggieNut-Viv May 17, 2015 at 11:19 am #

Debra, fighting cancer can get really tough. My Mandi has done all those things and then some. She wets around her litter box too and I put newspapers around it which helps. Her problem is that the sides of her box are so low that her little rear end hangs out over it and all the time she thinks she’s in her box. I like the low sided box as it makes it easy for her to get in and out so I just put newpapers around it rather than get one with higher sides.
            Cancer cats are going to fluctuate on how they are doing just like people do who have cancer. This will be an uphill climb all the way. Expect setbacks. Several times I’ve thought it was the end and each time we’ve pulled out but so far, there’s been no cure. I know that at age seventeen years my Mandi is on borrowed time but I’m happy for each day that me and my kitty still have with each other.
            It’s good to keep a supply of syringes on hand as the disposable kind just aren’t made to last very long. If you have a local Tractor Supply, they have them but I’ve never found the one ml size there. Mostly, I get them on line. Drs. Foster and Smith have oral syringes which have a longer nub at the end enabling the larger size syringes to fit into a cat’s mouth better.
            When it’s medicine time, I’ve spent a lot of time running down Mandi and sometimes I’ve felt like I was participating in the calf roping contest at a rodeo. I know it hurts when your furbaby runs away from you, but sometimes love has to be tough. Over time, Mandi has become much easier to work with, but it took a while.
            Cats with cancer usually do lose weight. Before cancer, Mandi weighed over thirteen pounds and she was overweight. Now, it’s less than half that.
            Artemisinin probably needs to be given more often than 3 times a week, especially if you’ve hit a rough spot in the road. I limit my use of it as Mandi can have digestive upsets if I use it too often. However, when circumstances demand it, I have given it twice a day for three days straight with only mild side effects that don’t last long. Holistic vets recommend fifty mg given twice a day – once in the morning and once at night and always given with fat. The “off” and “on” schedule differs a lot. I’ve read eleven days “on” and three days “off”. I’ve read “every other day”. I’ve read four days “on” and three days “off”. There seems to be a lot of just playing it by ear and it can be very frustrating if you go into this without any experience with cancer like I did.
            When I first took Mandi to the Vet back when the cancer was found in October 2013, he started her on an antibiotic, Clindamycin. This did wonders for the inflamed sores in her mouth and impressive improvement was quickly seen. The drooling stopped, her appetite was good and she was able to eat! I was so encouraged but unfortunately, this is a continuous battle. Now, since I’ve been treating Mandi myself, I use Echinacea/goldenseal blend or Olive Leaf Extract both of which act as antibiotics and both of these also help boost the immune system which will help fight the cancer. However, the Clindamycin I gave Mandi that was initially prescribed by the vet sure packed a powerful punch and maybe something like this is what is needed to speedily improve things.
            Good luck! Keep me posted.

• Debra Costas May 17, 2015 at 4:20 pm #

Hi Viv, Molly has never wet outside her box before. a couple of days ago I caught her with her hind end just barely inside the box and after that she just wet on the floor in front of it.

I did give her the Artemisinin twice a day for 3 days and then Thursday just gave her the herbs and IP6/Inositol mixture since. I wish there was a way to just take 1/2 of the capsule and just “pill” her as I think it wouldn’t be so awful for her but I don’t know if the open end of the pill can be “plugged” up somehow so the powder doesn’t get out on her tongue. I also wonder if the edges of the 1/2 pill will hurt her throat. She didn’t eat anything this morning but ate a little around noon. I can tell she just doesn’t feel good. I haven’t given her anything today.

I got the syringe free from my vet so I assume it is the right kind but I will look into those you mentioned. She just hates my using the syringe on her. She went and hid this AM and we couldn’t find her. When I woke up from my nap this afternoon she was asleep beside me and let me love on her for a little while.

I have noticed that her drooling has cleared up quite a bit so I think the stuff is working. I am just praying that she has a bladder infection and that a shot of antibiotics will clear it up and she will feel more herself.

Yes, I hear what you are saying, this cancer stuff is really a battle and sometimes you win and sometimes you have to fight harder and sometimes you lose. If she doesn’t want this anymore maybe it’s time to let her go. I don’t know if she will ever get used to it like Madi seems to have done. We will just wait and see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks so much,
            Debby

• VeggieNut-Viv May 17, 2015 at 6:37 pm #

Debra, I remember now – It’s been a long time but I have pilled Mandi with the Swanson 100 mg Artemisinin! Here’s how I did it. I separated the capsule into two halves and plugged each end with a bit of cheese. I used Velveeta because I had it. Then, I put the pills in the freezer so the cheese would firm up and stay in place. When I gave it, I put the smooth, non-cheese end into Mandi’s mouth first so that the edged end plugged with cheese would go in last. I sometimes fixed up several capsules at a time and kept them in the freezer so I had a ready supply of them. With Mandi’s mouth being ulcerated in the back, it was hard to push a pill in her mouth without causing discomfort. And since it needed to be given with some fat anyway, I got used to disolving the Artemisinin powder in some sort of oil and using a one ml syringe. If you decide to keep using a syringe, the one ml size is more comfortable for the kitty and they don’t put up as much of a fuss. However, if Molly accepts the pills well, you can now do it that way. By giving pills, you avoid the bitter taste and that is definitely an advantage as it will make medicine time much more pleasant for the both of you.
            When I give Mandi Artemisinin, she also acts like she doesn’t feel good. Artemisinin depresses the appetite and not eating can contribute to a cat not feeling good. This is one of the side effects of Artemisinin and it’s one of the main reasons I dislike giving it, but it shrinks cancer consistently faster and better than other things I’ve used and I’ve also read that cancer does not become resistant to it. That may or may not be true, but some people have used it for years as a stand alone cancer treatment so it may be possible.
            You might could back off some on the Artemisinin and perhaps give it only once a day for three consecutive days, late at night when it will be the most effective due to the higher metabolic rate of cancer cells at night. A one dose per day schedule should help with the side effects. You can then rely more on the IP-6/Inositol as it shouldn’t produce the negative side effects like Artemisinin does. In fact, I’ve seen no side effects using the IP-6/Inositol so far and this helps to maintain quality of life. Right now, Molly may very likely just be feeling the side effects of the Artemisinin. Mandi has looked just awful for a few days after taking this and she gets even thinner due to how Artemisinin affects her appetite. But, after a break from the Artemisinin, she bounces back with improvement.
            The fact that Molly isn’t drooling is a BIG plus! Drooling ususally just gets worse if nothing is stopping the cancer so I do believe that you are gaining ground. Mandi’s drooling has been so bad in the past that she continually had a string of drool hanging out of her mouth.
            On the days that I don’t give Mandi Artemisinin, I sometimes give her two capsules of IP-6/Inositol at a time. I do this twice a day and I sometimes give her a third dose using just one capsule. I’ve noticed that the color of the cancer in Mandi’s mouth has become more pale. Perhaps it’s due to a lack of iron from the IP-6 chelating it. It sure looks like “anemic” cancer to me.
            Over time, Mandi has gotten more used to me doctoring her up but it took over a year to accomplish this and my technique has also improved with time so that probably helped too. After I give Mandi’s stuff to her, I make it a point to sit and hold her for a good while and just cuddle with her. She purrs and purrs and snuggles her head up on my shoulder or under my chin and we just rest ourselves together. I also do this when I’m not giving anything to her so she won’t think that the only time she gets any attention from me is at medicine time. This is one full time job with overtime!
            If you can, look in Molly’s mouth and see if there are any changes in the cancer. I’ve found that this type of cancer can change very, very fast, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse and it’s wise to keep a visual check on it. To do this, I use a small flashlight that I hold between my teeth so both my hands are free to work with the kitty. Look for changes in size and color.
            I wouldn’t make any drastic decisions just yet as I expect that Molly may well perk up after a break from the Artemisinin. Appearances can be deceiving and Molly may have actually gained ground but it won’t look like it until she gets over the effects of the Artemisinin.
            You hang in there girl!!! I’m rooting for you and Molly! Keep me posted.
            Viv
            PS – I used to have a kitty named Molly and she was so very special to me. I had her for seventeen wonderful years.

• VeggieNut-Viv May 17, 2015 at 7:53 pm #

Debra, I forgot to tell you something about Artemisinin. When Mandi pees out of her litter box, it most often happens when she’s taking Artemisinin on a twice a day schedule and she pees more often too. A nurse told me that Artemisinin is a diuretic. This may be a factor in Molly’s accidents.
            My hunch, and this is just a hunch, is that Molly is experiencing the side effects of Artemisinin. However, if there is a bladder/urinary infection, Echinacea/goldenseal blend should help and it also has the added benefit of boosting the immune system. If you want to read more about this, I found it on “The Animal Herbalist” website. I’ve used it for my bobtail kitty, Teddy, who is hyperthyroid and has cystitis, an inflammation of the bladder and it helps him. Teddy is Mandi’s neary sixteen year old kitten. I also give this to Mandi to help prevent bacterial infections in her mouth.
            Something to think about when/if you take Molly in to your vet to check for a possible bladder infection – If your veterinarian is open to alternative methods of treatment, they will be more understanding about what you’re trying to do. But if they know nothing about it, they may make things sound worse than they are. My “know nothing about holistic medicine” vet told me on October 1, 2014 that the end was very near for Mandi. That’s been seven months ago!!! Most people would have accepted without question the vet’s bleak prognosis and that would have been the end of it all. Remember that conventional, non-holistic vets are playing in a totally different ball park and their methods of treatment are based on a totally different foundation of reasoning.
            Look deep before you leap and choose wisely.

• Susan Miller May 18, 2015 at 6:34 am #

Viv,
            Love all of your wise input and suggestions! I just ordered Dr. Pitcairns new book. I have a young cat, that the “traditional, young, money hungry vet” stated had the beginnings “struvite crystals” forming in her bladder and that not only did she need S/O (special order) cat food to dissolve the crystals, he stated she would need “surgery.”

There are many “natural, holistic” treatments for these crystals BEFORE they become solid stones. I understand that once stones are formed, certain types may need surgery.
            The vet can run a urine analysis and can tell which stones may be prevalent.
            The vet I use, knows I have budget constraints, yet refuses to give me other options, thus, I have needed to look elsewhere.

My youngster (with possible struvite issues) also misses the box, or goes near it. I got several of those large rubber mats to put under the box, to prevent messes on the carpet. Then I can take them out side, treat with 50/50 vinegar/water solution (neutralizes the smell) and I let that set awhile, then hose off and let air dry. (I have several that I rotate out)

We love our fur-kids and will doing ANYTHING to help make them happy and comfortable!

• VeggieNut-Viv May 18, 2015 at 9:01 am #

Debra, I’ve got a Shepherd/Husky mix that had a bladder stone surgically removed about eight years ago. The vet wanted to put her on a prescription dog food that cost eighty dollars a bag. Dr. Pitcairn’s book gave me an quick, easy fix for this – 500 mg vit C twice a day. Of course, the vet said it’d never work as struvite stones are usually accompanied by an infection as well and it would likely be an on-going problem. That’s been eight years ago and there’s been no problems and I still give Vit C to her. Effective, cheap, easy fix.
            I’ve noticed that most vets these days tend to not suggest anything that doesn’t bring in revenue.

• Debra Costas May 18, 2015 at 11:08 am #

Hi Viv, Just got back from the vet. Molly had just peed on the floor before we went so the vet couldn’t get a urine sample but she gave her an antibiotic shot just in case. Then it turned out her bowels were really backed up so she gave her an enema. She was also dehydrated so they gave her fluids. I decided to bring her home and wait for the enema to work. I shut her in the bathroom and she has been in and out of the pan trying to go. Does the Arteminisinin constipate? I know you had just the oposite problem. I haven’t tried to give her anything at all the last couple days and she hasn’t eaten anything so the vet suggested I liquify some food and try to get it into her. The vet also gave me the 1 M/L syringes as well as a couple larger ones for food. If she is better later today or tomorrow I will try to get back to giving her the IP6/Inositol and her herb tonic. I hope since she didn’t have it yesterday or today it won’t inhibit the therapy. When the vet looked in her mouth she said her tongue is purple and it looked to me like the tip was curled backwards. I don’t know if I can continue to do this. I can tell she is miserable. She was down to a little over 4 pounds.

• VeggieNut-Viv May 18, 2015 at 12:40 pm #

Debra, Artemisinin does not cause constipation and neither does the IP-6/Inositol. Molly probably isn’t drinking enough water and the location of the cancer may be a factor in this as the cancer makes it harder for her to drink. In fact, I read on Healthy Pets that dehyration is the most common cause of constipation in cats. Dehydration also causes weight loss from loss of water.
            Something that I used to for Mandi in the early days is KMR Milk Replacement for kittens. It is also recommended for distressed cats. It comes in a can ready to give and it is also available as a powder that you mix up with water. I used the powder as it was on sale. It can be given with a syringe or medicine dropper. This provides water and also nutrition. KMR is a good brand to use. I have also used Ringers Solution before with a different pet. Ringer’s is injected subcu.
            Mandi’s cancer is also generally dark purple. Back in the early days when I started off using the Molasses Baking Soda Cancer Cure, the cancer turned a milky WHITE! Then, her mouth healed and all the ulceration was gone! However, the cancer didn’t stay completely gone, but it did stay much smaller until the cancer spread to the other side of her mouth and then it was HUGE! Mandi couldn’t eat at all and I had to gave her liquids with a syringe until I could shrink the cancer with Artemisinin. I ended up giving her Artemisinin twice a day in spite of the known side effects as I knew the side effects would be temporary. It took a while to shrink it down good.
            Initially when I first began treating Mandi myself in April 2014, I used the Baking Soda/Mollasses Cancer Cure along with Tripple Blend of Shiitake, Maitake, Reishi Mushrooms that I got from Swanson’s. This formed the backbone of her cancer therapy for several months and her mouth stayed reasonably good at least visually. I think that this slowed the cancer down, but it was still working its way down into her jaw until in Oct 2014, she got the abscess and the cancer spread to the other side of her mouth where it really grew fast. I changed battle strategy and once again, I went to war against cancer with better weapons of destruction. Right now, with what I’m currently using, the dark purple cancer has become pale. A good sign, I think.
            It is a constant battle to keep ahead of this and I sure do get battle fatigue, but I keep on because of what I believe it is possible to do.

• VeggieNut-Viv May 18, 2015 at 1:02 pm #

Debra, I forgot to say that I wouldn’t discontinue any cancer therapy as I don’t think that is the problem. If nothing is done to stop the cancer, it will continue to get worse. However, use your own judgement as you are the one who has got hands on contact with this and can see it best. Mandi is my first and hopefully only cancer cat I will ever have so my experience is limited to this one cat and not all cancer treatments will work the same for all cats or for anybody else for that matter.
            Keep on keeping on,

• Debra Costas May 18, 2015 at 3:33 pm #

Hi Viv,

No poop so I called the vet and she had me bring her in for more fluids and another enema. They are also going to give her a shot for nausea. I did give her some food via syringe and she threw up most of it. I have been concerned about her fluid intake and didn’t realize she hadn’t been pooping as my husband takes care of the cat pans. I am going back in about an hour to pick her up, hopefully, all pooped out! I will start her back on the IP6/Insoitol and herbs tonight if she can keep it down. I am just going to have to give her liquids by syringe to keep her hydrated, I guess. I felt so bad for her. I shut her in the bathroom and she just kept going to the pan and trying and trying with no results. She has to be just miserable!

When I first got Molly and Sampson, her brother, I gave them the KMR via a doll’s baby bottle since they were only 9 days old, so I am familiar with that. That is a good thought that she will get some nutrition as well as fluid.

• VeggieNut-Viv May 18, 2015 at 4:27 pm #

Oh Debra, this has got to be just worse than awful to go through. It’s so hard to see your furbaby like this and feel so helpless to do anything. Yep, I’ve been there. One of Mandi’s bob tailed kittens that she gave birth to soon after she came to me as a stray in 1999 was born just a little too bob-tailed. She was missing some nerves that affected both her rear end and her back legs and this couldn’t be fixed. It shortened her life in spite of all that was done for her. She had mega-colon and toward the last few months of her life, she would obstipate which is even worse than constipation. I gave her Metamucil or it’s equivalent and a stool softener, Colace, I think it was. It helped. I nicknamed her “Rubber Legs” when she was first starting to walk before I gave her the more better permanent name of Baby Bunny. She never got very big and was always especially close to her mother Mandi. I had her for eight years and seven months and she quietly left me soon after I brought her home from her last round of enemas. There was just so very little that could be done and I felt so helpless. This just couldn’t be fixed by anyone or anything.
            Soon after she passed, she came to me in a dream one night. It was such a wonderful dream! In my dream, she jumped all the way over my head because she wanted me to see that she was now made whole. She was so scamper pawed proud and happy to show me how strong she was that she just pranced! The dream was so real that it abruptly awoke me as if I had been suddenly startled awake by something. I’ve never forgotten this dream and I never will.
            There is still hope for Molly. I’ve seen times when things like this do a turn around even when it looked about as hopeless as trying to fix a burned out shattered light bulb.
            It is always darkest before the dawn. Hang in there, dawn’s a comin’ !!!

• Debra Costas May 18, 2015 at 5:18 pm #

Dear Viv, I don’t know what I would do without your encouragement! Thank you from the bottom of my heart! I just picked up Molly about an hour ago and she is much happier! They gave her more fluids and another enema and that cleared her out. Thank you, Lord! The vet said she shouldn’t eat till tomorrow but I am going to resume her herbs and IP6/Inositol tonight. She had a shot for nausea so I think the vet just wants her digestive tract to have a bit of a rest. Which makes sense.

So sorry to hear about Mandi’s baby! What an ordeal and she lived such a short sweet life. I’m sure you gave her the very best of care.

My vet is actually one of the best in the area and even tho’ they are not wholistically oriented they are open to it. They have been our vet for over 35 years now and I do trust them. I just educate them now and then :)

• VeggieNut-Viv May 18, 2015 at 5:41 pm #

Yes, indeed Debra, thank you Lord! I’m so glad to get the good news about Molly.
            Now, you all can get a good rest tonight.

• Debra Costas May 19, 2015 at 7:11 am #

Hi Viv, I did sleep most of the nite but woke up early wondering if we are doing the right thing. I got a good look at her tongue and it is black at the back and at the tip. I gave her the IP6/Inositol and herbs and shortly after she was drooling a little blood again. I don’t know if I hit her tongue with the syringe and caused it to bleed or what. The vet said she could eat today but she wasn’t interested this AM. I may try giving her some with the syringe and see how she does. She watches me like a hawk ready to take flight if she sees the syringe. I will give her a 50mg dose of the Artemisinin tonight that I have in a capsule along with a little Salmon oil. I think I will try and use butter to plug up the 1/2 capsules as we don’t use Velveeta and I think that will work. My biggest worry now is keeping her hydrated. She did get in the sink and take a drink after her meds but I don’t think she really gets much water. I did notice that the very tiny tip of her tongue was white, which you said means the cancer is regressing. I just don’t know if putting her through this is worth it. Both of us are nervous, stressed wrecks! Seeing as how we just spent another $200+ at the vets I think for the moment I will keep trying but I’m not sure about the long term.

• VeggieNut-Viv May 19, 2015 at 9:42 am #

Debra, you’re really between a rock and a hard spot right now. It’s difficult to know what to do. Since Molly’s cancer involves her tongue, it’s going to be harder to work with. From what I’ve read, bloody drool is common with this type of cancer. Mandi has drooled, sometimes constantly, but so far I’ve not seen any blood. My two cats that I doctor up have also watched for any syringes and would run for cover if they saw any even when I held them in my mouth. They can also learn to listen for any suspicious sounds too. Over time, my two learned the “medicine schedule” and would make themselves scarce. However, that was in the earlier days and it’s not nearly as bad now since this has become “normal” life for us.
            The white on Molly’s tongue may be unrelated to the cancer, but we can hope that it means the cancer is regressing. I don’t even know for sure that’s the reason Mandi’s mouth turned white, but only the cancer side of her mouth did this and the cancer backed off. The most significant time this happened was when I started her on the Molasses/Baking Soda Cancer Cure. She was also given a Prednisone injection a few weeks before and although she had responded well to this before, this time it didn’t seem to be shrinking the cancer any. However, after beginning the Mol/Bkg Soda, it only took two weeks for Mandi’s mouth to look like it had no cancer. I saw smooth skin! As her mouth healed, the normal pink color returned, that is, until the cancer reared up it’s ugly head again and I found new battle strategy.
            I read on a holistic vets website that in his experience, combining conventional methods with alternative methods of cancer treatment produced better results than either method would produce when used alone. That may be why I saw the dramatic results when I used Mol/Bkg Soda after the Prednisone injection. What does your vet think about using Prednisone for Molly?
            Fighting cancer is one of the hardest jobs I’ve ever done and it don’t get any easier. But, on I go. Take care and just do your best. When you’ve done your best, you’ve done it all.

• Debra Costas May 20, 2015 at 6:44 am #

Hi Viv, Molly has returned to eating on her own and being her old self! PTL Last nite we had ribs for dinner. The minute I put the bone down she whipped it away and jumped to the floor….yep, she is back to normal! She loves to chew off the bits of meat from bones. Of course I am very careful to only let her have big bones than can’t hurt her. She went at it chewing on that rib and ripping the meat off! She did bleed a little bit but it stopped right away. I syringe fed her 2 meals yesterday and extra water along with her meds including one 50mg dose of the Artemisinin. I am going to try just giving her one dose today and tomorrow and see how that goes. I am also going to give her extra water via syringe. I did buy the milk replacement powder and will probably use that too. Do you have any idea how much fluid cats need per day? I am going to see if I can find that out. She still drinks from the faucet but with the lack of tongue use I don’t think she gets much that way. I think that in combo with the Artemisinin depressing her appetite (so no fluid from food) probably caused the poop back up. Her brother Sammy wouldn’t eat again last nite but did eat this AM. I think he is just acting up to get his “daddy” in a tizzy! He is acting normal otherwise and he could stand to lose some weight so I am not too worried about him at the moment. My husband, however, gets all upset when he doesn’t eat as he has always been a “chow hound”. It was so funny last nite when Jim fed him and Molly walked over and calmly ate all Sammy’s food and wanted more!! That’s when I knew she was OK! I don’t know if I can go thru that again, tho. And there is also the problem of finding someone compassionate and reliable to care for her when we need to go out of town. Jim won’t do any of the syringing and I don’t know of anyone and last time we went away for a show our “kitty sitter” only got one dose into her for the 2 1/2 days we were gone. We have not even planned a vacation this year because I don’t know what to do about Molly and then we have the Fall Show season with our alpacas we really need to do for the business. I am praying that God will supply and He always has so we will see how things go. Again, thanks so much for all your help! How many pets do you have? What do you do when you have to be away?

• VeggieNut-Viv May 20, 2015 at 10:00 am #

Debra, it’s great to hear good news about Molly! I’m sooooo…. glad that she can eat again!!!
            However, just so you’ll be prepared, this will probably come and go. It may be that the chewing these cats do when they are able to eat serves to inflame the cancer which once again makes it hard for them to eat. It’s like a vicious cycle, on and off, up and down, like a yo-yo. To make the most out of this, I try to give Mandi food that is easier to chew so I can keep her eating well for as long as I can. For example, Mandi likes raw beef steak and I dice it up as small as I can to make it easier for her to chew and less irritating to the cancer in her mouth. I give her platters of soft scrambled eggs and I save the broth for her from home cooked chicken and turkey. I think that the milk replacement is a good idea as it will give Molly a way to eat that won’t be hard on her mouth. I don’t know how much fluid a cat needs. However, as hard as it is to get anything down a cat, I doubt you’re in any danger of overdosing on it.
            I’ve got six cats and three dogs. Most of mine are older and several have health problems that I am also treating myself. It’s non-stop around here!
            I’ve never had to deal with who takes care of my pets when I’m away as I never go anywhere. I’m a real home body. I’ve always been this way. If my mother hadn’t made me get a drivers license before I went off to college, I doubt I would have thought of it by myself.
            Keep up the good work with Molly’s cancer therapy as cancer will not be stopped unless it is completely destroyed. Show no mercy and take no prisoners!!! Down with cancer I say!!!
            Viv :)))

• Debra Costas May 21, 2015 at 2:13 pm #

Hi Viv, My, you have your hands full!! Molly continues to do well and I am giving her the milk replacement formula. My vet said that she needs about 2 + ounces a day of liquid so I just keep squirting the milk, water in her mouth all day. She still drinks from the faucet but until she regains the use of her tongue she doesn’t get as much liquid that way as she could. I did give her the Artemisinin last nite using butter to seal the 1/2 capsule and it worked like a charm! The only thing I wonder is if she needs more fat that just a pin head size blob. She does get Salmon oil mixed in with her wet food as well so maybe that is OK. She wants food all the time now so I am beginning to wonder if her thyroid meds are right. On the other hand her brother Sam won’t eat his wet food anymore! He is usually our chow hound so I am not sure what is going on with him. He will eat his dry food but he doesn’t seem to want his treats either. He’s got my husband in a dither as Sam is “his” cat!

• VeggieNut-Viv May 21, 2015 at 4:05 pm #

Debra, it sounds like you’ve got pilling down to an art! But, I think Molly probably does need more fat than what’s in the butter plug. Even though Molly is getting Salmon oil when she eats, I’ve read that fat needs to be given with the Artemisinin since it is fat soluable. I reallly don’t know how much fat is needed. I searched the internet when I first started using Artemisinin and all I could find out was to “give it with some fat”. Not very clear! It may be that the amount of fat isn’t critical, but I wish that a general guideline had been provided with the info on how to give this. I give Mandi Artemisiin dissolved in about one ml of flax oil and then follow it up with another one ml syringe loaded with just plain flax oil and sometimes I give her a little more to help wash down the bitter taste. I’ve read that if your cat likes milk, that they can be given some whole milk to supply the fat. .If you search the internet, you may have better luck than I did in finding more info on this topic. It’s probably out there somewhere in computer land.
            It may be that Molly wants food all the time because she’s not been able to eat for a while and she’s just extra hungry now. It’s hard to know without lab tests and that can get expensive.
            A natural product called “Only Natural Pet Thyroid Wellness Feline” seems to have good reviews. Some of the reviewers said that their vet recommended it to them. I don’t know what is best, prescription meds or a more natural treatment that would hopefully eliminate some of the side effects of stronger drugs. Sometimes there just doesn’t seem to be a good choice and we then must make do with what’s available that we can afford and hope for the best.

• Debra Costas May 21, 2015 at 9:37 pm #

Hi Viv, Yes, I think she probably needs more fat with it too so I am going to give her some extra Salmon Oil tonight when she gets her last Artemisinin for the week. I also gave her some oil from a can of mackrel I had for lunch the other day. Yes, I must admit I am pretty good at “pilling”!! :)

• Susan Miller May 18, 2015 at 6:17 am #

Just a quick note for you all trying to “pill” a cat. On Amazon, they sell a “pill shooter”…it is smaller than the ones found at the local pet stores. (your vet may also have the smaller ones…mine did not..) It’s only $3-4, and if you happen to be a “Prime” customer, then shipping is free. This helped me “dose” all of my cats.

Also, some cats LOVE the taste of Coconut Oil, and it masks the bitterness of pills. I either put some oil on the pill before shooting it, or give them a dollop immediately afterwards.

Just ideas…we have to get very creative and outsmart our pets!

• Duke May 4, 2015 at 11:30 pm #

Hello thank you for great advice and I have a question. I bought this Thorne Research Fix oil was recommended by Dr Loop and it is gelcap.. Do anybody know how can i feed this to my cat? thank you

• VeggieNut-Viv May 5, 2015 at 6:50 am #

Duke, I give gel caps to cats too and this is how I do it. I first roll the gel cap around between my fingers to soften it up. Then, I snip off the tip end of the gel cap with a small pair of scissors and squeeze out the contents into a small mixing container like a small baby food jar or suitable bottle lid. I then mix this with water or organic flax oil and give it with a syringe. The syringe I measure the flax oil or water with is also the syringe I use to give this with so that the final volumn of whatever I’m mixing won’t be too large to fit into the syringe. If the kitty isn’t too picky, it could be mixed in with some tasty food.

• Duke May 5, 2015 at 10:13 pm #

Hello Veggis Nut thank you very much for information.
            So it is okay to mix with water?
            You know it has been working is and i got this advice from Dr. Loop and he said you can mix remedy with tuna water. You know those tuna can for human? and has water in it? and mix with remedy and my cat love it…. you think i can try tuna water with liquid in gel cap?

• VeggieNut-Viv May 6, 2015 at 8:25 am #

Duke,
            Artemisinin is the only thing I’m giving that needs to be given with fat so I always use some kind of fat with that. Anything else, I use usually use water and I sometimes give her herbs to her by making tea with them. Since Mandi, my cancer kitty, is thin I figure that the calorie filled oil is an extra plus for her.
            I think tuna water would be a good way to make what you’re giving taste better. Cats tend to like to eat what smells good to them and using tuna water should help make medicine time easier for the both of you.
            Fortunately, over time, my Mandi has become very easy to work with. I hold her very gently by wrapping my left arm around her while she rests her head on my forearm and I always say to her, “I help you, I help my kitty kitty.” She seems to understand. After I give her medicine to her, I often spend some time just holding her up close to me as we enjoy one another’s company as we sit snuggled up together in a rocking chair. Medicine time is not so traumatic anymore but it took a while for it to become this way.

3. Nat May 20, 2015 at 5:34 pm #

Hello, can someone help me with this conern?

I was referred to this blog out of deperation and am now very hopefuly that perhaps my swet kitty will have a chance at survival. My cat Zoe is diagnosed with fibrosarcoma and we’ve decided to go with a more alternative/holistic approach rather than surgery and radiation. I went with the recommended products from your amazing story and bought the Advance Immune Restoration Protocol, and have started on the celloquent. I’ve seen some improvements in activity level and appetite, but was wondering if that can be given in combination with the “Natural Pet Immune Strengthener” and “Life Gold cancer support”? I tried to research online to see if these supplements might interfere or if the recommended dosage should change when given in combination. However, I couldn’t find any informatin whatsoever.

Please help if you can. Thank you!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. A month of pills, pounds and poo watching | I love you more than I love me - October 13, 2014

[…] as complement to the chemotherapy. I discovered this great article on one person’s story: Incurable to cancer free. I was inspired to seek out UK based vets specialised in complementary treatments. I found several […]