Nate - gorgeous as ever

Handsome Nate

Like so many cancer stories, this not a simple one.

It involves conventional treatments that don’t work out, but it ends with natural treatments and a happy cat!

This story is a big deal to me because I lost a cat to high-grade (large cell) intestinal lymphoma. While low-grade lymphoma is more treatable, cats are not known to survive high-grade lymphoma. Even with intense chemotherapy, the best we were told to hope for was 6 – 9 months.

So I always have my ears open for helpful cat cancer healing stories. When I heard that a woman in Illinois named Connie Fischbein had a story to share (complete with pictures of the oncology scans), I set up an interview as fast as I could.

I was stunned to learn that her cat had survived high-grade intestinal and kidney lymphoma. I could hardly wait to hear how her 7 year-old Maine Coone, Nate, pulled this off!

Note: All the resources that worked for Connie’s cat are listed at the end of this (long!) article.

How it starts

LIZ: First of all, I want to know all about Nate’s initial diagnosis.

CONNIE: It was in the small intestine…he had been vomiting and losing weight and I had been going back and forth to the vet…I was leaving for work one morning and he hid under a chair, something he would never do unless there is something really, really wrong. I ran him up to the emergency clinic… he had an ultrasound. There was a tumor in his small intestine…it was removed surgically, they tissue typed it and gave me some options for chemo…  We started him on the treatment that I thought would be least stressful for him….Lomustine [oral chemo].

LIZ: What did they do with the surgery?

CONNIE: They basically removed the tumor [it was blocking his digestion]. And resected the bowel.

LIZ:  And what happened after that?

CONNIE: Within a couple of days he was pretty much eating his regular diet…And then 10 days later I brought him in to get his stitches out and that was when they started the oral chemo.

LIZ: I don’t think I was given surgery as an option. I don’t remember that ever coming up.

CONNIE: Well this was a single tumor. I know there are some forms of lymphoma where it’s more diffuse and it’s not that easy to remove surgically.

LIZ: The word “diffuse” does sound familiar. Maybe that’s what it was. So then Nate started the Lomustine. And what was that like?

CONNIE: He would get the dose once a month and he seemed to tolerate it fairly well, but after a couple weeks he would start having really bad diarrhea, which we would treat with metronidazole…

Connie begins researching alternatives

“After his first Lomustine dose I started looking online for alternative therapies in case the chemo didn’t work…I spent hours just searching, trying to find [good] products.

I found a cancer support product called ES Clear…it’s supposed to help with side effects from chemo. At work there’s a database I can use where I can look up interactions of some natural medicines and conventional medicines…and I didn’t see anything that was going to be a significant interaction.

I talked to the oncologist and he was fine with it too… With the ES Clear, Nate really seemed to perk up and had less diarrhea and less lethargy after his chemo doses.

I saw a vet online recommending a product from a company called Vitality Science. I talked to LeLa and to Steven Becker there. The whole approach was the opposite of the approach that conventional chemotherapy is about. Conventional chemo is all about suppressing the immune system and killing everything basically. Cancer cells metabolize faster so they absorb these toxins more readily, but pretty much every organ system is affected. But the alternative approach is to boost the immune system, give the animal a chance to heal itself.

I thought, “maybe this is plan B, because I’m kind of committed right now to the chemotherapy.” The approaches seemed to contradict each other. I couldn’t get my head around doing both at same time. They said you could, but I wasn’t convinced, so I decided to make it plan B.”

The cancer comes back after surgery and oral chemo

CONNIE: Nate did well for 5 rounds of oral Lomustine. He had his last dose at the beginning of May 2012. But at the end of that month we had a routine scan and unfortunately it had come back in his kidney. It was like a small 1.5 cm tumor at that point.

LIZ: How many months was he on the Lomustine?

CONNIE: Five. He was diagnosed early January and it came back at the end of May.

LIZ:  It was the same high grade, large cell lymphoma – but this time in the kidney?

CONNIE: Right. And so we tried Elspar, which is specific for lymphoma. But the cancer was resistant. It just kept growing. So the week after that we tried [another drug] I wasn’t thrilled about. Heavy duty chemo. It was given by IV and made him sick…He wouldn’t eat from his food dish and became lethargic. His white blood cell count dropped and he was placed on prednisone and antibiotics.

Heavy duty chemo doesn’t work for Nate

“So we were just watching his white blood cell count every week. About 2 or 3 weeks later it came up enough but the tumor…didn’t shrink.

Kidney is hidden behind tumor

Kidney is hidden behind tumor

And then it started growing again so we tried one last resort called Palladia. ….But after 2 or 3 doses of that oral medication, he was vomiting and then he stopped eating.

He was kind of saying ‘I won’t do this anymore.’

Switched to 100% alternative therapies

“I talked to the oncologist and said, ‘I can’t do this anymore to him. I’ll just try to make him as comfortable as I can. And I think I’m going to try these other herbal products.’

Since he wasn’t eating, I ordered a product (Feline Granular) that you mix into his food, which he absolutely loved, and it got him eating again. He was still taking ES Clear.

I also added another product Tripsy, which is for kidney support. I figured, even though he still had normal kidney function and all his labs were normal, he might need help excreting the metabolites of these products. I started him on Tripsy and the Vitality Science Advanced Immune Restoration Protocol [for cat cancer]. So I started these about a week after this last Palladia [chemo] dose.”

Surprise!

“About three weeks later we took him into the vet for a scan and surprisingly it has shrunk over 30% and he was…almost strangely energetic. I thought there was something wrong with him. I was like, “What’s going on? He’s acting weird.” It turns out this tumor is shrinking.

Tumor (in cross hairs) has shrunk

Tumor (in cross hairs) has shrunk over 30%

I brought him back three weeks later and it had shrunk another 30%. Both the oncologist and I had been skeptical before starting these alternative therapies. The oncologist was very surprised by the results and I was kicking myself that I hadn’t tried them earlier along with chemo.

Tumor has shrunk again

Tumor 30% smaller again, kidney now visible

The second time it shrank he called me into the consulting room, closed the door and said, ‘OK, what exactly are you giving him?’

I told him about all the products…he said, ‘Well, just keep doing this. He’s moving in the right direction. We’ll see what happens.”

I brought Nate back a couple months later and the tumor was still shrinking. Not quite at the same rate, but it was still moving in the right direction and then I think his third scan was in October 2012.

Then I brought him in January this year for another scan and it was completely gone. Normal kidney.”

LIZ: Wow.

CONNIE: Yeah. He gained weight… and he had another scan at the end of February…The scan was clean everywhere. His gut and his kidney and all of that. His recent scan [May 1st] was also completely clean.

LIZ: I’m blown away that even though Nate went through some really intense chemo his body was able to get rid of the cancer when you stopped – even though chemo breeds stronger cancer cells.

Happy Nate

Happy Nate

CONNIE: He wasn’t quite 7 years old when he was diagnosed…he had that going for him… And I think I got lucky with finding Vitality Science. I think those products probably made the biggest difference…there are ingredients that specifically have anti-cancer properties. And immune boosting properties.  I think that was the big gun. Although it’s hard to say because there are no controlled studies.

LIZ: The tumor shrinkage you saw in late July – the doctor did not think it was from the earlier chemo, correct?

CONNIE: Correct, he had a scan after the chemo; it was still growing, not shrinking.  …In fact, Nate’s oncologist was very excited about what happened with these herbals, so he now recommends it to his clients who don’t respond to conventional chemo.

Important Note: Only after a number of clean scans did Connie begin to taper down the alternative therapy doses that Nate was taking. I learned the hard way that this is essential. With cancer treatment, especially after chemo has been used, the strongest tiny cancer cells are the ones that survive, so if they start growing again they can come back with an unstoppable vengeance. For this reason, I would continue periodic cancer scans and have my cat on a maintenance dose of an alternative therapy for the rest of his or her life.

The resources that worked for Connie

Connie used a number of supplements – “the kitchen sink” – as she joked, so it’s hard to be sure which ones made all the difference. But, she suspects the Advanced Immune Restoration Protocol Cat Cancer Support and Tripsy may have been most essential to Nate’s healing.

Nate’s anti-cancer supplementation

Vitality Science Advanced Immune Restoration Protocol – Cat Cancer Support – An anti-cancer combination of enzymes, probiotics, green algae, and essential nutrients for immune system; herbal anti-inflammatory and anti-parasitic; fish oil, krill oil, Astaxanthin (extracted from Haematococcus Pluvialis microalgae), and natural vitamin E.

Nate’s immune, nutrition, and kidney support supplements

Pet Wellbeing Nu-Pet Feline Granular with Antioxidant– for appetite & nutrients

NHV ES Clear – for cancer support and immune strengthening (contains ingredients of Essiac tea, a reputed anti-cancer formula)

NHV Tripsy – for kidney, renal and urinary disorders in cats

(The last two products were originally available through Pet Wellbeing, but they have sense reformulated them, so now you can get the original formula Connie used only through NHV.)

Nate’s treatment for chemo-related diarrhea

Pet Flora – When Nate stopped responding to the metronidazole for his chemo-related diarrhea, Connie tried this special soil-based probiotic, which cleared up his diarrhea in 24 hours.

UPDATE June 2016!
I just got this update from Connie. Nate is still cancer-free after 4.5 years. She wrote: “Nate is doing very well (knock wood). He and his sister celebrated their 11th birthday this past February. Still can’t believe he’s a 4 1/2 year survivor. I feel like everyday with him is a wonderful gift. “ Connie added that she now helps Nate keep healthy with some immune supplements recommended by his new holistic vet and she also performs Reiki energy healing on him from time to time.  (I will try to get more details and add them here.)

, ,

736 Responses to Incurable to Cancer-Free in One Year: How Nate-the-Cat Survived High Grade Lymphoma

1. Joe Contreras May 1, 2017 at 3:27 am #

Hi,

Our Arnie was operated for a potassium deficiency which would have killed him. However two weeks before his operation there was a significant weight loss and my wife and I thought it was this deficiency causing the weight loss.

During the operation the surgeon found cancer and we’ve started the cancer treatment but we don’t know if it’s too late for him. He stopped eating (my wife is forcing feeding), he’s hiding and he’s incoherent.

Questions:
    1. Do we continue to fight?

• Chere October 3, 2017 at 9:28 pm #

Hey Joe, I’m sorry I see no one responded to you. Whatever happened with Arnie?

• Joe Contreras October 4, 2017 at 3:04 am #

My Arnie died in May of this year the underlying issue was cancer. Please no condolence doesn’t help. I just needed advice and didn’t get it.

2. Ruth May 29, 2017 at 3:47 pm #

How do you get your cat to take all those supplements? I looked into your protocol and it looks like 4 different liquids, twice a day. That is quite a bit of “pilling”. Our Larry is doing OK with chemo right now so I am only giving him Predisilone and ES orally twice a day. I really don’t think he’d tolerate me squirting more stuff into him. I’d love to know how you did it, especially since your Nate wasn’t eating at the time. Thank you.

3. Lisa Woodard September 22, 2017 at 12:49 pm #

We are waiting on the lab results for my cat, but we have already given the first round of chemo, assuming that is what it is. It was Vincristine which made him not act right the next day. he is already skin and bones. I believe in natural healing so I’m doing research. I have had him on the probiotics, but they did not help his diarrhea. Just two days after his first chemo, however, his stool has become more “feces” shaped and he has not vomited for over 48 hours how. We have him on Cerenia, though, for vomiting.
    If I order all these products mentioned in this blog, I do not know how much to give.
    Does anyone know anything about apricot seeds or Vit B17 given to cats?

• Chére September 23, 2017 at 4:07 am #

Hi Lisa, you’ll have to read the thread to get how much of the different drops and powder everyone used. My baby, Storm, was also skinny and we found out it was gastrointestinal lymphoma. I use the ES Clear, bk detox from NHV, I got a sample kit from Vitality science which I use the celloquent and superfood alot. I also got the pet flora from them too. They all have instructions, like the ES Clear I think says 1 drop for every 2lb/1kg but Storm is very fussy and I mix it in with her wet food so I usually will put a drop or three in a sachet of wet food, with a sprinkle of the superfood/celloquent/pet flora etc. That sachet of wet food is being divided over my 3 cats so Storm isn’t getting very much per meal, but that’s the only way I can give it to her. Some people syringe a mix straight into their pets mouths but I tried it once and landed up with fishy oily mix all over my couch and decided that’s not for us. I also got the ip6 & inositol premixed and artemisinin from iherb, which I also sprinkle in wet food. I just mix it up on a daily basis. Someone mentioned how many grams you should give on this thread but like I said, Storm will only tolerate so much. I believe you shouldn’t give the ip6 & inositol and artemisinin at the same time. Also I think the artemisinin is better at night. I could be wrong but that what I think I remember. The petflora helps stop the vomiting and apparently diarrhea, I recommend it. Its been 4 years since she was diagnosed and 3 years since we stopped chemo. I never stopped giving her this combo but I definitely slacked at times, especially with time. She’s recently started vomiting again so I’ve had to try be more diligent giving her everything. About the b17, I recently watched a video that claimed that cancer is just a vit b17 deficiency (like scurvy was for vit c). So that’s a really interesting point because scurvy killed so many and it was such a scary thing. So maybe cancer is a simple deficiency. But then I also saw a video claiming that that is rubbish. I’m willing to try anything though so I think I’d try sneak some bean sprouts or something chopped up into some food. Good luck, let us all know how it goes.

• Lisa October 3, 2017 at 8:14 pm #

Hi Chere. Thank you for your response. I just had to let my baby go on Sunday. His chest was filling up with fluids again and he just hadn’t eaten much in three days. How did they find out it was intestinal lymphoma? Did they do the lower and upper scopes and take biopsies? Did your cat get fluid build up in her chest? We had him fasted and prepped to do the scopes, but when the vet found the fluid in his chest, she was confident that we didn’t need to do the scopes. I will regret now telling them to go ahead and do them because now I will never know if it was or wasn’t. I did give my cat three or four doses of the B17 but just ran out of time with him. Whatever it was that took him, took him so fast. He was gone in about six weeks after he started dropping weight rapidly. How is your cat doing?

• Chere October 3, 2017 at 9:25 pm #

Hi Lisa, I’m so sorry to hear that.
          With Storm she was really skinny and the vet did blood tests then a scan, where they saw a mass. Then we did a biopsy and found out about it. She had a tumor which they removed. Luckily we didnt have any fluids. I lost a furry baby to renal failure previously and it was also so quick. I regret letting the vet put her down. They say it was the right thing to do but I’m haunted by the choice because we didnt fight it. But sometimes its just the pain of the loss making you question your actions or lack thereof.
          Storm has recently gotten thinner and started vomiting again. This happened after I eased up on all the magic potions we all mention on this thread. So I’ve recently gone back to my cauldren and started dosing Stormy twice a day and she seems to have stopped vomiting. Thank you for asking. She’s been such a trooper and I hope she can always be a good example like Nate.

4. Sue September 30, 2017 at 6:58 pm #

Hi, my cat (only 3 years old) was just diagnosed with renal lymphoma last week, and is on steroids (life expectancy 2 to 3 months on steroids). Does anyone have ideas on when I could integrate natural medicine noted in this article? Thank you for any input!

• Lisa October 3, 2017 at 8:07 pm #

Hi Sue. I’m sorry for your kitty. I just had to let my 11.5 year old cat go on Sunday. I did not get a chance to try anything here. His chest kept filling up with fluids and he was down to skin and bones, and plus he wasn’t eating much. We never found out what was wrong with him. Can I ask you how they determined it was renal lymphoma? One thing I did start giving my cat was extracted amygdalin (Vit B-17). I was only able to give three of four doses before I had to say goodbye. It came in 100 mg capsules. I had not idea how much to give, so I opened the capsule and gave him very little of it. He was becoming very difficult to pill, so I also put a couple of his pills in the capsule which made pilling him easier. I was doing research to see if others were giving their cats amygdalin, and I found they were. I bought mine from Apricot Power.

• Sue October 4, 2017 at 6:02 am #

Lisa, sorry to hear about you baby fuzz. Sometimes you’re not given enough time to react, if they are refusing to eat and aren’t on a tube, then you definitely did the right thing. My kitty was not eating any food (hard kibble, soft food, or snacks), but was still drinking. He was acting very lethargic. I took him into the vet after a few days this activity. While giving him the once over, they noticed a lump in the kidney area. They did an x-ray, and it still looked questionable. I was then forwarded to a specialist at an emergency vet location. The wait was sorta long to get him in (this was a Thurs, and they said they could see him Tues.). He was looking more rough, so on Friday I took him to that emergency vet as an emergency patient, and they were able to squeeze time in. Long story short is that they did a biopsy on the mass and it came back as renal lymphoma. He didn’t have FIV or FeLV, just unlucky. I don’t know if it’ll work or not, but I did research on the NHV products mentioned in the article, and they do sound promising. It’s worth a try. Right now, on the steroid he is eating normal, playing, and snuggling. I’m happy to have a few more months of quality time while I have it.

• Alik November 7, 2017 at 1:09 pm #

Hello, cat owners, i would like to add to all this information that you can try also colloidal silver on your cats. I personally used to give around 3-5ml up to 3 times a day for my 7.5 lbs cat and there were no side effects except constipation that was resolved by probiotics and lactulose syrup. I did give this to her not for cancer, but for kidney infection though. She is 15 years old and more than two years ago i found small lumps on her belly and was pretty heavily treating her with IP-6 Gold (thank to this blog!), Curcumin and Modified Citrus Pectin for more than a year. Over time i reduced doses of these things but she is still ok (although has one kidney very enlarged) and has nothing noticeable on her belly. I give her around 3 ml of colloidal silver (Mesosilver, 20ppm) a day just for maintainance to keep her protected from cancer and kidney infection.

I also heard about good results from colloidal silver + ip6 protocol. Colloidal silver must be given on an empty stomach at least a half if an hour before food. Its almost tasteless like water and a cat should not mind swallowing it.

5. alexafederico October 10, 2017 at 2:36 pm #

Hi there. My cat likely has cancer in his spinal cord or FIP. A couple of weeks ago I noticed he way laying down a lot. When he would get up he moved slowly. Then it looked like his foot was hurt and he wasn’t walking correctly. We bought him to the vet, and lab work showed pancreatitis but that didn’t explain his walking issue. Fast forward another week and he is dragging his hind legs. It’s like they don’t work. The vet said its likely lymphoma of FIP, but I cannot afford the MRI to check ($3-4k). He is still his happy self and is on pain meds and starting a steroid tonight, as a last resort. Alternative medicine helped me and I want to try it for my cat. He is 13 years old. I wondering if I should just get started on some of these supplements above and assume he has cancer. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you so much.

• Chére October 11, 2017 at 12:24 am #

Hi Alexa, as my vet told me when I asked, it can only help. Regardless of what it is I think the products help in so many ways I’d suggest it. I bought the finicy cat trial pack from Vitalty science and that has a little samples of some of the stuff mentioned on the thread as wells as others. One of the powders helps with pain and inflammation so that’d probably help too. Good luck.

• alexafederico October 11, 2017 at 4:41 pm #

Thank you so much for your response! I ordered the pet cancer detox kit from NHV today that comes with 3 supplements. Hoping for the best!

6. Suzie October 31, 2017 at 9:41 am #

Hi Sue and all,
    I just found out yesterday that my 11 year old red tabby, Izzy has lymphoma. They didn’t get a large enough sample in the biopsy for it to be 100% conclusive but also determined that it couldn’t be anything else. A week ago, out of the blue he looked not well in his eyes and became very lethargic. Nearly $6,000 later, we now have a diagnosis. We’re happy to have him home after two nights in a hospital and are giving him fluids intravenously. Don’t think we can embark on chemo for financial reasons and after reading Nate’s story, not sure we feel right about it. Thinking like Sue, we may go with the more affordable Prednisone option and am inspired by the combo homeopathic supplements Nate’s owner used. It’s so shocking how quickly cats decline with cancer.
    Rough!
    Suzie

• Chere October 31, 2017 at 10:40 am #

Hey Suzie and everyone.

Firstly sorry to hear about Izzy, this thread has been a great help to Storm and I. The chemo was really rough on her-she lost alot of her fur😟. I feel like I’m constantly mixing potions but I do believe in these products.

Update on Storm: Storm got skinny again and was vomiting but I had to take her to the vet after a there was a red outline of blood in her vomit.
      He had a urine test, blood test and scan and there was no sign of anything. Even though we’re not sure whats caused the vomiting, I’m hoping very happy and praying that there is nothing to find.
      Shes eating very well and is her spritely little self. I think she’s gaining weight. Shes on antibiotics and hasnt vomited since.
      Oh I bought a new sample kit from Vitality science and it came with ‘comfort’ and ‘comfort plus’. I’m happy to be trying it as it contains pet flora and slippery elm so its good for her tummy.

• Sue October 31, 2017 at 11:20 am #

Suzie-

It’s a hard decision to make, but you have to do what’s right for you. My cat is a squirrely little guy and loves to play, I didn’t want to see him suffer through chemo in his last days, if the same outcome was inevitable. That’s not to say chemo won’t work for some situations. So far, a month after his diagnosis, with the Prednisone, NHV’s Tripsy, and NHV’s “Pet Cancer Super Support Kit”, he has been acting like nothing is wrong.

Something interesting I found out while researching, is that it sounds like lymphoma in particular doesn’t react to steroids/chemo very well in people, so they typically prescribe a lot of immunity boosting type solutions. When you look up all the ingredients (yes I looked each one up one by one) in the NHV stuff I mentioned, a lot of those herbs help with immune system support.

I’m no vet, and all I know is what I can find on the internet, but it’s interesting stuff nonetheless. Best of luck to you!

• Suzie October 31, 2017 at 2:18 pm #

Sue,
        Thanks so much for your reply! How’s your little guy doing now, over a month after diagnosis? We will take our kitty for a consult tomorrow with an oncologist to educate ourselves a little more but are intrigued by holistic approach along with Prednisone. Did you discuss with a holistic vet before starting the supplements? I see there is an online consult option with a vet on the NHV site. Also, got some samples of Hill’s Kidney Care food from the vet at ER where Izzy was evaluated and treated. She highly recommended these products and Izzy gobbled them up.

• Sue October 31, 2017 at 4:36 pm #

Suzie-

Knock on wood, he is exactly how he was pre-diagnosis. He plays, fights with his fuzz brother, and eats/drinks normal. I did not discuss with a holistic vet prior to starting the supplements, I researched the ingredients in some of the NHV supplements, and wound up contacting them via e-mail to make see if they suggested the products I was leaning towards. They were actually super helpful and quick to respond. I wound up getting the Super Cancer Support instead of the Lymphoma Gold, this was their response when I asked why Super Cancer Support vs. Lymphoma Gold: “Lymphoma kit would be more so for kitties who were FeLV as well or at first as it has the Felimm which is effective against viruses. Also we suggest not using the Prednisone with the Felimm which is in the Lymphoma kit.”

Per the advice of a friend who rescues cats, I eliminated seafood flavors in his soft food because apparently, seafood is high in phosphorus, which is not good for kidneys. Right now he’s eating Friskies Pate (various flavors without seafood), and Fromm Hasen Duckenpfeffer grain free hard food (which he ate prior to the diagnosis). My ER didn’t recommend any particular foods, but I would say whatever keeps Izzy munching, keep doing it!

• Suzanne Goldman November 7, 2017 at 12:18 pm #

Hi Sue,
            Last Wednesday we took Izzy in to meet with an oncologist. While we’ve decided not to move forward with chemo, we did get him a one time injection of L-asparaginase. It’s not really considered chemo but works to fight and kill the cancer cells. We also started Lymphoma Gold last Friday. Between these two treatments, Izzy is doing great! Eating up a storm and playing with his sister Olive. Today he was the most back to normal he’s been since it all came down. Because the vet had initially given him a cortisone injection at his first visit when he started to act sick, we have to wait on starting Prednisone for a few weeks, until it gets out of his system. I will inquire about Lymphoma Gold being OK to take with it then I guess… Also, we’ve started him on Hill’s Kidney Care food (wet and dry), but you need a prescription from the vet to order it. We ordered from Chewys. We are so happy to see him rejuvenated a bit (for now) and are hoping for the best.
            How is your guy doing this week? I’m so glad I found this supportive animal lover network!
            Suzie

• Sue November 13, 2017 at 12:12 pm #

Suzie –

It’s hard to find a lot of detailed information on this stuff on the internet, just chemo, steroids, and life expectancy, so it’s great we can share our experiences here 🙂 That’s great to hear he’s feeling good! So far, my little guy is still good. Month 2 is on the 26th. He seems kinda sleepy and more snuggly than usual, but that may be because of the cold weather. Especially since he is still playing and running when he is awake. It’s interesting how vet experiences can be so different.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by WooThemes