This evolving list includes resources I have either used and loved or feel strongly confident about based on research and trusted recommendations.
Natural stain and urine odor cleaner
Fizzion Pet Stain and Odor Cleaner, with spray bottle: Cat behaviorist Jackson Galaxy says this works best for removing urine smell. It’s pretty amazing.
Simple Solution is the enzyme cleaner I like particularly for stains.
Beneficial supplements for cats
- Probiotics: Pet Flora (97% success rate in resolving pet digestion problems – vomiting, irritable bowel, etc. See Vitality Science website.) Doesn’t require refrigeration.
- Probiotics + Enzymes: Wholistic Feline Digest Plus (powdered form). Overall great probiotic-enzyme product for cat digestion and wellbeing that happens to include two probiotics known to support kidney health. (I recommended keeping it in the refrigerator as often as possible to keep the microbes alive.)
- Probiotics for Kidney Disease: Azodyl Renal Function Support. Veterinary probiotic supplement for cats and dogs with kidney disease. This is a premium-priced product, often prescribed by vets. The positive reviews are encouraging if you have a CKD cat.
- Probiotics + Enzymes: Animal Essentials Plant Enzymes and Probiotics (Not as powerful, but less expensive. I recommended keeping it in the refrigerator as often as possible to keep the microbes alive.)
- Iceland Pure Unscented Sardine-Anchovy Oil (designed for pets)
- Nordic Natural Omega-3 Pet fish oil (designed for pets)
- Carlson fish oil (also for humans)
- BioSuperfood or BioPreparation (microalgae with anti-inflammatory properties and a reputation for helping with all kinds of cat illness)
Safest soap if you must(!) bathe your cat
Easy grow cat grass
Pet Greens Garden Wheat Grass Self-Grow Kit: Grows like crazy, but you need to plant it in a heavy, solid pot so your cat can really bite down and pull at it. Otherwise it just drags around or knocks over.
Cat behaviorists who can consult by phone
Holistic vets you can consult with by phone
See the current list here.
Other cat vets we love
Great sites for researching cat health issues
See my favorite list here.
Natural cat care books
- Your Cat: Simple New Secrets for a Longer, Stronger Life, Ground-breaking cat nutrition book! Elizabeth Hodgkins, DVM (Tip: You can peek at it online for free here. Note that this is not a natural care book though. Only the nutrition focus is “natural.”)
- The Natural Cat: The Comprehensive Guide to Optimum Care (Great overall resource)
- The Complete Guide to Holistic Cat Care: An Illustrated Handbook (Helpful nutrition and basic care book)
- Dr. Pitcairn’s New Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats (Very comprehensive–but not totally focused on cats; a bit too carb-friendly food-wise)
- Whole Health For Happy Cats (Nice overall resource with helpful color photos)
- What Cats Should Eat: How to Keep Your Cat Healthy with Good Food Kindle by Jean Hofve, DVM (Answers just about every question you might have when it comes to cat food)
- A Ragdoll Kitten Care Guide: Bringing Your Ragdoll Kitten Home [Kindle Edition]: Though focused on Ragdoll cats, this little guide is helpful for any new kitten parent. Author Jenny Dean’s advice is insightful, practical, focused on natural solutions, and full of product and resource tips.
Natural flea control
- Natural Flea Control for Cats –my article on safe flea removal and prevention
Sympathy gift set for loss of cat
- Boxed gift set for those grieving the loss of their cat from The Loyal Heart – includes Liz’s book Soul Comfort for Cat Lovers, plus handmade paw print bookmark; journal and pen; handmade memorial keychain and a cat-themed photo frame. Keychain is made with aquamarine, a stone for courage and protection.
Animal communicators who love cats
- Sharon Callahan– for spiritual readings. Sharon has a very spiritual nature. She’s very helpful to talk with when your cat is ill or has passed on.
- Marta Williams – for behavioral and missing cat communications: Marta has a speciality of helping people locate missing cats via her telepathic gifts. (Hard to believe, but she’s had considerable success.)